Veg Tacos with Avocado Cream and Feta
Beginning a journey to something new is not always the easiest thing to do. From traveling to switching something in your lifestyle around, it takes time and patience. Patience isn’t something that comes easy for me either, ask anyone around me. When I want to try something or wanting to do something, I need it right there and then. A few years ago, I attempted to switch to a vegetarian diet. Obviously, this totally failed for me. While I succeeded for 3 months and felt amazing, I went off the wagon. Why? Because I gave up everything in one day and didn’t pace myself.
Some people are capable of going cold turkey and quitting whatever is holding them back in their life. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people. So I sat down, made a plan, and will do this the slow way. I’ve been doing research to find healthy yet tasty vegetarian meal plans. Yes, vegetarian – not vegan. I love dairy products way too much to go full blown. Maybe one day though! So after researching, I began ordering cook books as well. This will give me more options and alternatives to the foods I already love. So while I was researching some recipes, I stumbled upon this: Roasted Veg Tacos with Avocado Cream and Feta. Immediately it caught my interest because I love tacos, avocados, and feta cheese. Ding ding ding!
I printed out the recipe, crossed off the ingredients I wasn’t a fan of, and replaced them with veggies I enjoy. After work, I met my boyfriend at the grocery store and picked up the ingredients that I didn’t already have. We then ventured home to get started on the meal!
What you need:
- 1 ripe avocado (get a darker one, as this will be ripe and ready to use – take seed out)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt + Pepper (I prefer kosher, but it’s your preference)
- 1 can of Progresso black beans (or whatever you prefer – kidney beans work well too)
- 1 small can of Green Giant corn niblets (again, whichever you choose)
- 2 small red peppers, 1 small yellow pepper, and 1 small orange pepper
- ½ red onion
- Organic salsa (or whatever you like)
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- Hard taco shells (or tortilla wraps)
- 2 tbsp. of Chobani nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Low fat Feta cheese crumbles
- ¼ cup of water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is warming up, start opening and draining your veggies and beans.
- In a skillet, add 1 tbsp. of olive oil and let the oil warm up. Add in your can of beans along with the taco seasoning. Also add in the small can of corn. Add salt + pepper to taste. Then, add in your ¼ cup of water and let this simmer until the water has evaporated.
- While your beans are cooking, you can start chopping up your peppers + onion. Dice them just like the above picture. Your beans will be done cooking by the time you finish, so place them into a bowl and set aside. Rinse out this pan with some water, add some more olive oil, and heat up the skillet. Then, add in your chopped veggies. Cook them until they’re translucent (or super soft). Remove from skillet and add to a separate container.
- Take your avocado and cut it in half. Remove the pit and carve out the green. Add this to a bowl along with your 2 tbsp. of Greek yogurt. Stir and smash this until it becomes creamy.
Optional: Add in the juice of one whole lime for even more flavor!
- Now that your oven is heated, place your taco shells onto a pan and place them in the oven for about 5 minutes. This will make them warm and crispy.
- Once the tacos are finished, take them out of the oven and serve! Start by taking the avocado cream as the base, then add in your beans, salsa, peppers, and feta cheese. Ta-da, all done!
This serves from 6-10 tacos – depending on how much you stuff your tacos. Believe me, after one taco you’ll be wanting more! These taste amazing, they’re healthy, and no meat! Beans are becoming my new favorite meat replacement. You honestly can’t tell the difference, which is the great part. I can’t wait to experiment more with these recipes.